Friday 19 January 2007

Well at least it was dry this morning.

Quite a bite to the air and a fair bit of wind, although nothing like yesterday.

My legs felt good on the first climb out of the village, but then where the second climb starts they just had nothing and that was pretty much how the rest of the ride in was. Tonight Chris is out and Ben won’t be coming home until *late* so I might try an extended ride back: say 12 or 15 miles up through Ardley, Souldern, around to Deddington and then back down the B4260 . You’ll know of course, because I will have done it before posting this on the blog.

BTW I’ve finally managed to use the ‘new’ LED light system off road on Wednesday night. First surprise was how much the lights need to be aimed downward, as it was no longer important to see what was coming 75 yards ahead, so much as 25 feet. Running 3 LEDS (1 wide, 1 medium and 1 spot) gave plenty of light for normal trail speeds, although not as wide a beam as I’d like. I can see quite clearly why most LED users want a helmet light too. Contrast this with the Halogen system I built 4 years ago which lit up the trail like daytime, but drew 4 times as much power, makes me wonder about the famous efficiency of LEDs. Having said that, my MkII prototype is most of the way to completion, and that should put out 50% more light than this set for about half the current draw. We’ll see how that works out.

Now – work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.