Wednesday 13 September 2006

There's a buzz I get.

It's a childish thing, I know.

On the way to work there's a hill that climbs up from the village of Upper Heyford through the airbase. It's around 1/3 mile, and although not steep, it is certainly not gentle either and too long to simply rush it in a big gear. A couple of times recently I've met other guys cycling up this same slope. Last week it was a chap who looked around 10 years older than me (mid 50s) on one of those funny Raleigh shoppers with 10" wheels and huge balloon tyres. Went past him at around 3 times his speed with a cheery greeting. This morning it was a younger guy on a touring bike, obviously straining up the hill in too big a gear. Went past him around 50% faster, again with a greeting (having a bike come past when you don't know it's there can really make you jump!).

So yes, it's childish, but I do get a buzz from overtaking other guys. Life IS a race.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.