Friday 1 September 2006

I'm still buzzing a bit.

Tonight we had the second and final rehearsal of the rock'n'roll band.

I got there tired and a bit apprehensive as I knew I was going to have to deliver a lot more leads and breaks than with the other band. I'd slept poorly last night as I was still pretty high from that rehearsal when I went to bed, and sleep never comes when I'm like that. But once we started playing I just eased in, and although the timing was off and muscles aching, I could still tear into Johnny B Goode like I meant it (cheesy, but darn good fun). Digging into the processor I found a lovely tremelo patch that fitted 'You'll never walk alone' (I call it you'll never walk again).

So here I'm sat, working my way through a large glass of port (bottle's been open too long and needs drinking up) listening to Johnny Winter, blogging and dreaming up some more licks to use tomorrow.

But there's something else that's curious. Dennis, the guy that's put this together always seems to draw out good playing in everyone that works for him. He's not a young guy and plays everything like it's Country and Western (yup, BOTH kinds of music ;¬)). Yet somehow I find myself nailing licks for him when I'd fluff them often as not at other times. I remember seeming him playing a few years back supported by a guy with a shredder guitar banging out licks like his life depended on them. At the time I thought "he's a darn capable guitar player". Now I wonder if it was Dennis and his influence. I've played with him before in worship, and almost always the guitar has sounded sweeter and more exciting than most other times.

Maybe Dennis has an annointing to make other players play better?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.