Sunday 28 December 2008

OK, so I DID buy a Macbook.

But times are a little tougher here than for the good reverend Friesen, so I didn't get the posher 2.4GHz ali model.

Conclusions so far:

The body is light years ahead of anything else that is being sold in quantity, no matter how much stainless steel is used to skin Tosh's, HPs etc.

The screen quality is lower than the one used for the Macbook Pro. That *might* be a software issue, as the pro has a different graphics chip, and having connected my Macbook to the flat panel I've used with a Lenovo for the last 5 months, I have to say that Mac video output sucks bigtime. I'm trying tweaks to make it better than bearable, but I'm not overly confident as many of the other Macs (including 24" iMacs) at the appleshop displayed fonts poorly too - and the assistant agreed when I pointed this out, and fiddled to try to make them better. He did not succeed.

Following the above, the screen does not have enough intensity or contrast, and normal adjustment is insufficient. The disabled options allows more contrast to be applied, and a small increase improves things significantly.

I bought the USB keyboard, since I plan using a panel with the lid shut, just like I did the Lenovo. The keyboard is GREAT.

I have tweaked the trackpad to my tastes too, and I have to say that this is the first laptop ever where I've not constantly wished for a mouse. Apple's new trackpad is full of win.

Is the OS good to use? Yes, or at least, it will be when familiarity is established.

Did it work out of the box? Kinda, but in a way that leaves Microsoft with nothing to be ashamed of. The security and functionality update (10.5.5 to 10.5.6) was 670Mb, which is bigger than service pack 2 and 3 for XP combined. And on top of that, it asked for another 350Mb of updates to pre-loaded programs (trimmed back to about 130Mb - who needs iTunes?).

Did it work out of the box? Yes, in terms of functionality it did. I would put it on a par with the Lenovos I've used, in that everything was there and working first time.

Finding my way round has been less un-intuitive that the Linux distros I've used. And while it does has a 'Linux' feel to it, everything is designed to help instead of hinder.

I tried various office suits while in the Applestore - wish they'd had OO loaded on a machine. The docs and spreadsheets (from Office 2003) I'd brought on a USB stick were displayed fine in the Office:Mac applications, but were mangled in the iWork apps. Pages lost borders around documents and did odd formatting. Numbers couldn't scale graphs or handle trendlines. This was disappointing, as I'd rather have gone all Apple for the added integration, but TBH they were dismal in actual use. If OO had been available to try then I think I'd have not bought Office there and waited to see if a cheap version came up on the bay. See dilemma below (and comment please). I don't think OO is good *enough* for my needs long term.

I have been reading about the integration between the Apple address book, email and iCal apps. I'm still juggling whether it would be better to use these or entourage. My gut feeling is that the apple apps will be 'nicer' to use and will integrate well together, but entourage will be superior with other office products. And I still have to move my older email across.

Talking of apps. Anyone else out there use Himmelbar? So much better than rooting in a folder for applications, and a confirmation that Microsoft got the start menu very right.

So what have I got? A really well made laptop weighing about 2kg with decent keyboard, small screen that doesn't feel *too small* and decent wireless connectivity. It will sit on my lap comfortably for typing, although I still prefer to sit upright and type on a proper keyboard at a 20" panel. It IS growing on me (and it had better, as I'm sure there's no refunds at this point). Just hope the learning curve won't be too steep.

Now, where's that Mail login.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.