Monday 7 November 2005

Many and mixed

I'm doing thw house group bible study tomorrow night. Read through the notes Vic Gledhill produced on RiISK (faith in action really) and ended up thinking "is that all? Sounds like a version of 'prosperity gospel'". I've added a couple of questions I hope will help, rather than hinder true faith.


We were at a funeral in London today. My 'Great Aunt' (actually not a blood rellie at all, but never mind) died just over a week ago.

Winifrid had served God in her generation, right through to her 90s. My mother had been close to her, and knew her better than many: knew her struggles, knew when she was baptised in the Holy Spirit (it wasn't called that at the time) and a pile of stuff we talked through. We met her son, Ian - me for the first time in about 25 years, Chris first time ever IIRC. We also met the Austrian side of the family: Gerhardt (who looks like the real father Christmas) Monica (Winifrid's daughter) and their children Marcus, Andrea and Johann.

I'm ashamed to say that I wasn't feeling especially robust, and didn't make a decent effort to talk to them all properly. I now seriously regret my failure, but that's just how it is sometimes.

I had a lot of people come up to me, telling me how I looked like my father.

The 'church' hall they had the service in is a curious building. Knocked up in the post-war period, it reminds me of every British 'shack-built' church, with saggy, fibreboard ceiling and questionable paint choice. There's a particular smell these buildings have too: not necessarily bad, but characteristic. Quite a few people there, which was great, and from many different ethnicities too.


I went to the 'Music-live' show at the Birmingham National Exhibition Centre on Saturday. I didn't buy anything, at all! Although now in retrospect I'm starting to wonder about a particular guitar I tried. I need to make space though - anyone want a Gibson flying V at a bargain price?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.