Friday 24 May 2013

We're away this weekend, and I'm struggling.

Last year we missed the Big Church Day Out after my misunderstanding with a mountain bike but we've arranged to go this year.

Trouble is, I've been looking through the events, bands, set up etc on the main website, and the more I read, the more I really REALLY don't want to go: it looks like a weekend full of all the Christian culture that I want to run away from. Big and famous artists, fringy events, religious activities. Sure this is my problem, at least to a degree, but I can't get over the feeling that this is all 'not right', and I'm already wondering if we can cut & run Sunday afternoon or evening to get some time on our own.

Doing a little self-analysis, I think it's down to trust. I have a deep distrust of contemporary Christian culture, especially the music industry that *feels* as though it wears a worship badge to sell identikit records to punters who have been trained to continually demand the latest thing. Yes, there are exceptions, but that's what they seem to be. I'm probably just getting old, and the only noisy guitars I like now are the ones I play (not true, but never mind).

I'm sure that, like some of the other things we've done outside our comfort zone, this will be OK, but I'd much rather be having a relaxing weekend at home, maybe get a ride in, have a walk with Chris, possibly a BBQ.

Oh well, remember the 'Best Marigold' quote.

Signed: Grumpy of Somerton.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.