Saturday 29 May 2010

Why is it?

That all the gnome based linux versions are a complete tram-smash when it comes to setting up a wireless connection?

In the case of Ubuntu Studio, as completely cool as it looks, I cannot get it to use any kind of connection at all - not even a conventional ethernet cable. I know the hardware's OK, because both sabayon and PcLinuxOS can use it fine (and very effectively too). But I've just tried Ubuntu 10.4 and 9.10, plus SUSE 11.1 and none of them seem to have tools to discover and connect to a wireless network, even though they can apparently find the hardware (which US cannot). It *could* be my stupidity, but I've set up wireless networking without trouble in the 2 KDE versions I run here.

I'd love to use US more, particularly as it's so fast (much faster than the other Linux flavours, including standard Ubuntu) but it's blind and dumb to the outside world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.