Thursday 13 May 2010

The cover is deceptive

Or plain wrong.

This is an intermediate comment on 'If You Want To Walk On Water Then You've Got To Get Out Of The Boat' (IYWTWOWTYGTGOOTB - nuts! that's no better).

Rather than hammer through it in a few days, I'm taking my time, reading small parts, seeing what speaks and what bores, what has life and what has information.

Will this book change my life? A little, maybe.

It is a book that needs to be read very carefully, and in context, else it will seem to be a charter for those who live by 'doing stuff' for God, rather than out of relationship with Him.

There's lots of encouragement to see what it is we like doing, are good at and have a calling for. And that's great. There's also some useful checks and suggestions for self-evaluation to make sure it's not all for our glory and fame.

Personally I'm trying to make myself get God to call me to do the stuff He wants, rather than do it by the traditional 'pushing doors' system, or maybe (being honest) a combination of them. The whole area of worship and music has been the most ghastly pit of emotions and struggles for the past year+, and I've already alluded to it. I've been close to laying it down, flogging all the gear and just walking away. But it won't go away because it IS a part of my calling, and denying that is like denying wanting sex with my wife (and not so different, in some ways).

So there are new shoots creeping through, here and there, and in new and old contexts. We'll need to wait for them to sprout and open a bit more yet, but they're there.

The book? Yes, it's making a little difference.

Why is the cover deceptive? Because the water illustrated is calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.