Monday 26 January 2009

The cookie I am munching

Came from a seven-11 just down the road. Makes Tesco cookies look like REALLY good value.

Snow flakes were drifting down gently while I was out in the dark. The temperature will probably drop overnight, which is fine by me, although the locals don't like it. There is an edge to the wind, but without the clammy British damp it doesn't suck heat from your bones within moments.

I like this city and so far, I like the people.

Tonight I was taken out for an excellent dinner of grilled sausages served on a bed of boiled potatoes covered in a creamy sauce with chives, plus a side of slightly pickled beetroot and a great local beer on the side. My hosts were great conversationalists, and all the more amazing for being so fluent in English, yet without losing any of their Swedish character. We talked economics, politics, business, the effect of the large numbers of immigrants to Stockholm was having and how they were being integrated. We talked about boating (a deeply Swedish thing) and skiing, about travel and farming. I didn't talk about Jesus, as this is the first time I've met Bo and you can't drive a 10 ton truck across a 1 ton bridge unless you're told to try.

Interesting place outside tonight.

Several bars had sofas outside, usually occupied by people in thickly padded jackets.

I walked all the way down the Birger Jarlsgaten (staying in the crystal plaza hotel) to Dramaten and Berzelii park, before heading back up. I'm unlikely to get much time for photos on this trip compared to last time, so instead looked for opportunities in shop windows. Not sure any were worthwhile, but it's better than complaining about it.

Guess bedtime should arrive soon. TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.