Tuesday 7 October 2008

Now here's an interesting thing (PC content)

In 2002 I build a PC to use with a piece of lab equipment. I just knocked it up from some older parts we had laying around including a Pentium 233, 3dfx card and some odd RAM. Installed windows 98 because that's what we had a spare license for and the equipment specific software required it.

Fast forward to Friday last week.

When I finished in the lab for the weekend I shut the PC down and it just closed, snap, within a couple of seconds. That was 'new PC build' fast. My curiosity was piqued, so I restarted it. After the half minute of so, waiting for the MOBO to finish posting and the HDD to spin up it booted quickly and smoothly. Not quite so fast, but still very quick.

Now this box just runs office and the plate reader software (plus solitaire and minesweeper for those 5 min incubations where there's nothing else to do). It's never been patched, upgraded, connected to the net or networked in any way. No exciting software has been installed or removed. It has just been left to run, all day, every day (inc many weekends) with the occasional reboot for the last 6 1/2 years.

Now, what does that say about win 98 being unstable and needing annual rebuilds?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.