Thursday 8 November 2007

Society brought down by James Bond!

After my previous post about how protesting against a particular film was going to have the opposite effect to that desired, I've been considering how the most subversive films have passed by with barely a murmur.

Almost all films now seem to show people meeting and having sex within a few days or even hours, with passing expressions of affection or sometimes lust. Guns seem to feature frequently, usually with serious consequences for various people, but with the main characters coming through largely unscathed. Drug use is also apparently normal.

I'm sure the directors would justify this as all essential to make the film exciting, feel realistic or provide a moral to the story. You can draw your own conclusions (if you care to think about these things) but this is where the REAL undermining of society through cinema has happened, if at all. I doubt the Pullman film will significantly affect even 0.001% of the viewers, but it gives those who have been poked into action something to say. Horse, stable door and much, much, much too late.

Cinema can be art, but mostly it is very much less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.