Tuesday 13 June 2006

Blog thoughts while at work. Pt 2

Last night I managed to get the hotel rooms and car booked for the trip to Canada. Big thanks to Marc, who found time to research hotels and stuff for us. We’ll be staying in the Albert Inn, as they had decent facilities and a really good rate.

Funny how prices of almost everything vary according to where you buy instead of what you buy.

Going direct to a hotel’s own website was without fail the most expensive route. Booking through a travel site was up to 40% cheaper: ridiculous! I’m glad that we did get a good rate, but it makes you wonder why things are done the way they are in the world of hotels.

Cars were less hassle/involved but still required some care. Avon base prices looked brilliant: $280 CAD for 9 days family car hire. Then came damage waiver, tax, tax and tax. You even pay tax for having air con in the vehicle! $600CAD was the real price. I ended up getting the car from Hertz.ca. I’d looked at prices in the spring and booking through Hertz.co.uk added about 50% to the cost. On the Canadian version of the site I still told them I was a UK resident, but that didn’t make a difference.

So we’re booked in.

It still feels like there must be something that’s been missed. We’ve got flights, car park, accommodation and transport booked. That *looks* like everything necessary to get us there and back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.