Recipe for Meat Korma
400-500g lean light meat (turkey, chicken or pork)
1 small to medium onion
1 pot yoghurt
approx. half pint milk
2 table spoons of tomato puree
one third of a pack cream of coconut
2 cloves of garlic
level teaspoon sugar
salt to taste (add at the end)
1 level teaspoon full turmeric
half teaspoon ground cumin
half teaspoon ground coriander
quarter teaspoon cinnamon
quarter teaspoon fennel
about 10 cardamom pods
root ginger if available
1) Finely chop and fry the onion and garlic in oil until light golden. Add the meat and fry until light brown.
2) Use a little extra oil if the meat is fairly dry. Add the spices and fry for 2 minutes, stirring to coat the meat and to prevent burning.
3) Add the milk and yoghurt, taking care not to let the mix boil. Stir in the tomato puree, the sugar and simmer for about 20 minutes. If the liquid level drops then add a little water.
4) Chop the cream of coconut and stir it in until it has melted and dissolved. If a more coconutty flovour is desired then add desiccated coconut (and almonds, if feeling especially flash).
5) Serve with spiced rice (try adding about 1 teaspoon of cinnamon OR half teaspoon cinnamon and one teaspoon of turmeric plus a pinch of salt) and naan bread.
For a bit of variety add sliced up green and red peppers at the same time as the cream of coconut, OR for a Kashmiri style dish, leave out the cream of coconut and thicken the sauce with plain flour. Add a sliced banana or two shortly before serving.
Have fun with it.
Just found this in an old archive folder while looking for another document.