Wednesday 12 October 2005

Cookies should crumble

I've held antipathy against cookies as long as they've been a significant feature of the WWW - pretty much since '97. I understand why they have a use for sites that sell, although it irritates me to be counted each time.

But for blogs, when all I want to do is comment, there should be absolutely no need.

Firefox has a facility to delete any of the cookies it's received and to block cookies from the sites that set them afterward. So I went through this PC the other day, noting with annoyance all the tracking cookies from various blogs I visit regularly, and deleting them, although with the ad-trackers etc. This isn't the first time I've been through and angrily deleted them, but it's the first time I've purposely blocked them. It appears that these cookies were also tied into the comments system of those blogs. Unless the prairyfusion server has crashed (not too unusual) if I try to post a comment I get a 'session undefined' error.

Cookies required to comment? NUTS.

At the moment I'm wondering whether to reinstate cookies or go without commenting on this PC. I'll probably reinstate because of the importance of those individuals, but it's a real annoyance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.