Wednesday 1 July 2009

Paradigm is an interesting word

but not one I would have chosen to use until hearing a Canadian theologian in the last few months.

There been some thoughts going off in my head about models of leading and dealing with people from a caring and oversight perspective. A number of things have brought this into focus for me, including, not surprisingly, the pastoral training course. But there was also an occasion a while back when someone was talking to me, telling me what God's will and plan was for me, interpreting things He'd spoken to me from their own point of view. The words used were not too bad (not too great either) but there was a reaction in my own spirit I could not line up or agree with what was being said. They did not have my trust and here they were, trying to speak into my life in a very direct manner.

What this is working round to is that I can see there are at least 2 main models of leadership style - the priest and the shepherd.

The priest tells the people what God's will is, what they should do, how they should live, where they should go etc. The root of this model is that people cannot know God for themselves.

The shepherd leads the people by going out in front, taking them to places where they can find food for themselves, caring for them when they are hurt. The root of this model is that people know God for themselves and will find and enjoy His goodness when they are lead into the right places.

Now some may actually find the priestly style of leadership comforting, because it absolves them of responsibility to do more than just be obedient: just follow the rules and it will be fine. It has certainly not been restricted to the traditional churches, and the 'heavy shepherding' practice of the 70s and early 80s was based around this. But what kind of personal growth does this produce? An ability to know the rules? This reminds me of a phrase used by Paul (paraphrasing probably) "But you did not come to know God that way" (by following the rules). Instead we know Him through life in the Spirit (sorry if I'm getting preachy) and where the Spirit is, there is freedom.

Actually I've a feeling this is a bunch of stuff from the letter to the Galations, all about the RULES bringing death and the Spirit bringing life.

As someone committed to the shepherding model, I want to see people living in the life-giving Spirit, and not following the rules laid down for them. I would be careful to distinguish between giving rules and bringing teaching: it is the interpretation of teaching and who does it that often makes the difference between the 2 conditions. In the end I want to see people grow up to be strong in Jesus, going forward above and beyond my abilities, knowing God for themselves and helping others to come to know Him. I don't want to have to be the one who is one step ahead, holding on to their position because I find the idea of being surpassed threatening.

Sorry for the sermon. Please pray for grace & mercy for both Chris and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.