Thursday 26 April 2012

If you computed in the 1980s

And many of us did (my first computer use was in 1976) then you should read this article on The Register - look back in ACSII. I know someone who has happy memories of adventure games on the ZX81, getting stuck in a dungeon with no way out except re-loading from the tape (3 tries minimum and a 5 min wait). I don't think we ever actually completed that game.



My own first computer was a 'surplus' Apple ][e with green monitor, twin floppy drives and built in keyboard. Appleworks was kind of usable (I wrote my first CV using it - got me another job from people who must have been impressed at a document that was not hand typed). Here I am, typing on an Apple, but cursing it because it always refuses to believe the first time you hit backspace is to delete a character - the key must be pressed twice before it will do as instructed. Not sure whether it's good or bad that they've never managed to make a product that wasn't idiosyncratic in some fashion.