Wednesday 13 July 2011

Curious how some people use words

Thinking this morning about voices I've heard recently: those who use words to transmit meaning for understanding, and those who wrap meaning in words so that it's difficult to find, let alone perceive. Jargon, buzz-words, implications that all hide the intent behind the conversation. It might be that they didn't have enough time to think stuff through, or it might be that they don't want to talk about reality plainly and out front. And having written this out, it occurs to me that sometimes we don't really understand a situation for ourselves until we've had to articulate it - talking (and listening) are powerful tools.

I have the slightly un-enviable reputation of presenting all the shortcomings of a situation while taking the good things for granted - in a work context. Things would be less complex (though also a little less up-beat) of others would do the same, and in all walks of life.

For me, there's a battle to make sure I speak reality, and make it as understandable and accessible as possible. One of my constant prayers is not to mis-represent either God or truth in what I say, and I feel shame when I know I've spun something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.