Thursday 17 April 2008

While we're grumbling, I'll mention Linux.

Remember the 'good' old days of Windows 3.0 and Windows 95?

Software worked, kinda, with regular lockups, crashes and just plain not doing what it should do?

Welcome to Linux.

Like web browsers that won't work because they use IPv 6.

Like web browsers that DO work. A bit. Like Konqueror, that apparently will access the net through a perfectly ordinary NIC chip (unlike Firefox) but won't allow posting of comments to Haloscan (Dan - it did manage to post on your blog last night).

Bill Gates has nothing to worry about. Really. I have been reading around on the forums for a number of these OSs, and even the 'experts' regularly get the sort of hassles we left behind when windows moved to the 98 flavour. Anyone who's run 2000 or XP on a reasonably spec'd machine will be familiar with the idea that a machine is stable for days, can resume from hibernation or screen saver without hanging and expect smooth scrolling and sharp fonts. I love the *look* of sabayon (even mandriva isn't so bad these days) and really like the idea of a M$ free environment (an apple has all the same issues that makes M$ unattractive, namely feelings of excessive control). But right now the price is too high for it to be my sole means of computing.

Shortly I will have a 750Gb Samsung F1 drive arriving, and I'll partition it up for Linux multi-boot. I'm very interested in learning, especially as these OS have become more less non-intuitive, but I'm very desperately unimpressed at what I've learned over the last month or so. If I can find a way of making a stable, attractive and non-M$ system then I'll certainly consider migrating. Until then...... I'm still a fan of XP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.