Wednesday 5 December 2007

True lies

Does anyone else ever step back from the 'standard' replies and phrases they use?

"How are you?" "I'm all right."

That's an obvious one.

Something a bit more subtle, and particularly for an older generation: referring to Jesus as 'the Lord', although it's not unusual even now to hear people pray "Oh Lord....".

There's something in me that says Father, but really struggles with 'Lord'. It's not a conscious rebellion, so much as a recognition of practical reality. You know the law has a right to require you to do certain things, but you don't always do them. At least, unlike with the law, I can come back and say sorry. And even mean it.

Honesty is a curious thing. Sometimes a blunt-edged weapon, wielded with great and careless strength. Sometimes a generous or delicate gift, presented in love.

How often the words have come out of my mouth that I've felt but never meant to say. How often have we watched films (we rarely notice the moments in real life) when a few honest words would save a situation, yet neither party speaks them and the whole film becomes (often unfortunately) possible instead of just a short preface to living happily ever after.

How true is proverbs 26:6 Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.

But so often we'd prefer to just settle for bland neutrality. Neither a kiss nor a slap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.