Wednesday 10 September 2014

So that's official, like.

That probably makes as much sense to our Canadian friends as the phrase 'Canada eh?*' does to a Brit.

So after all the talk of transition and being uncertain about the future, it's now public that we are moving churches, feeling called to return to Bicester Community Church from Heyford Park Chapel.

Sometimes I wish it could be done simply, just tell a few key people and migrate. But it's important to do this well, not least because it's important to break the pattern established by so many before us and provide an example of leaving well. We've not fallen out with anyone, we're not offended or moping or running away and we are leaving with the blessing and release of the church.

I also have hope and expectation that people are going to step up, that we aren't just abandoning them and leaving gaps that can't be filled. There are people I can see that will be able to step up and take our places - exactly how it should be - and the church will continue to grow, very much business as usual.

It's also my hope that those who felt they couldn't be a part of HPC because we were there - because I was there - might feel able to come back again. The church will be different under Stephen Griffiths, and that's a good thing, because he's the man God has called to lead and take responsibility for it. He has a different outlook, different theology in some areas, and is much more at home within a church of England structure than we could ever be. He'll make mistakes, but they will be his, rather than having to live with ours while we're around.

So off we go. A new beginning with some old friends and some new ones. Hopefully a time of healing, restoration, re-catching a vision, restoration of faith and expectation.


*Canada eh? - I never heard a single Canadian say this in the 2 weeks we were there EXCEPT when we asked about the phrase. For sure.

4 comments:

  1. Carol Hill4:49 pm

    I am glad you've made a decision, which I think will be releasing .... and you and Chris blessed us when we did the switch the other way around. You prophesied that the move would be releasing for ME,which it was - enormously. So - be blessed x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol, I'm glad for you and I do hope so for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol Hill1:48 pm

    Very gratifying outpouring of happy noises from facebook BCC friends I see. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am grateful we're still loved - hope we don't disappoint when they see what we're like these days.

    ReplyDelete

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.