Saturday 14 May 2011

What happens when we break our wedding vows?

Over the years I've known quite enough friends that have separated and divorced who really should not have had to. There's often the thought 'why did they break their vows' but it occurs to me that they probably broke the detail of their vows well before the wheels actually came off the pram. How many wives loved but didn't honour (cherish) and obey? How many husbands failed to love their wives, even though they respected them?

A quick google tells me that not everyone uses exactly those words, but the essence is frequently similar. I wonder if we fail to see the shame or pain that comes from breaking an 'easy' part of our vows while being horrified that the 'important' part is broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.