Monday 30 July 2012

Well that was the the week, that was.

And how it flew past - 9 days since my last post.

One needs a sense of humour to be me, I suspect. My speaking last weekend was so well received, with favourable comments from lots of people. My speaking this weekend seemed to baffle most of those unfortunate enough to listen (talking about having been saved and will be saved, what salvation might look like with a new heaven and earth). Maybe it was just a little too ambitious. Maybe it was just a little too muddly.

Maybe I needed to get a bit smaller in my own eyes (said with a grin).

Lots of work on last week, lots of work also this week. I need to find a way of being paid for time I spend doing 'stuff' for other people, or at least a way to build it into their bills. I've started work with a new company, but there's a lot of communication needed as we develop a relationship and transfer knowledge and information, ethos etc between the various groups involved. Seems good so far though.

There are also some challenges coming up in the church to be negotiated through. We need to find a way of living in grace and freedom with each other and yet also providing reassurance and security that the fundamentals are being taken care of. There is some discussion to take place.

And once again I keep seeing the need for housegroups and places of direct connection and fellowship - I realised last night that even though we *don't do housegroups* as a church, housegroup-style meetings happen spontaneously when ever smaller groups of people gather, whether it's for prayer, bible study or whatever.

And finally some thoroughly boring tech-notes:

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll upgrade the Macbook to SSD and probably also mountain Lion: it will likely be the last OS upgrade Apple will allow, since it's nearly 4 years old and past it's planned obsolescence date.

And I've finally got around to installing Microsoft Office under Wine on the Pear Linux PC - couldn't have been much easier, and I'm kicking myself for not having done it sooner. Just have to try installing the latest service packs now, to bring it up to date. IF this works OK then it could spell the end of OSX on the Macbook, except on a stored disc so that the machine can be sold later, or possibly dual boot. Experiments still to be done however, to see which OS is suitable as a replacement, particularly regarding wireless network adapter drivers, battery life and the 'superdrive' DVD drive Apple use.

And now - writing up and lab work.