Sunday 6 March 2011

A Christian manifesto III : the peace.

OK - made it through to the end of chapter 1!

If this blog were an essay for submission, investigating the book then I'd have blown my marks by now. However as it's just a place to record my thoughts and feelings as I work through things then it's all right!

Schaeffer's description of the source of the basis for law goes back beyond Christ to the original mosaic law. On the one hand this is good, because (as he explains later) it provides a basis for law that is greater than a government or a king (lex rex for you latin students) while providing inalienable rights for humanity. However the downside is, as I noted below, that while the law is good, it brings death to sinners, and on that basis it will always fail to create a peaceful and just society - a point that he has not looked at so far.

This sounds pretty poor (and it is) but he then contrasts this with the humanist system, where man is the centre and plumb line against which everything is to be judged, and one sees anarchy and oppression as the natural ultimate end. He also exposed liberal theology for humanism given a theological explanation, and how, when it is all boiled away it comes down to basic humanism instead of a God-centred theology. This is where I've found my peace so far - it reflects what I always 'knew' but never really found the words for.

That's enough for now. I'm hoping I'll find a way that will help bring life, rather than a justification for a law that, while stabilising society, still only brings condemnation & death in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.