Tuesday 1 June 2010

Talking of migrating OSs

I'd hoped to move my personal data across this evening from the XP box downstairs. Now I'm running 3 OSs on a 250Gb HDD here, and although they're hardly cramped, there's no large chunks of space available either (the biggest single partition is 90Gb-ish).

So I went to look at just how much space I'd need for personal files only. Bear in mind that I don't download music, rip CDs much (just for the MP3 player) or DVDs. I do have a few youtube videos saved, a few Gb of digital images and some guitar recording, plus there is some duplication from earlier hard drive evacuations.

Total of my *personal* data came to 115Gb.

This is irritating. I suppose I could back up the email and browser personal settings on here once again, then nuke and re-install to a single partition, but that's darn inconvenient, and it's good to have options for fiddling. Looks like I do need another HDD to complete the migration, and I really didn't want to spend the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.