Monday 3 May 2010

When enough is time to stop.

It's my natural character to pursue arguments until I'm done, either I've won or just lost the energy and interest to keep going (that happens a lot these days).

There's been a big furore about Philippa Stroud and her husband after an article in The Guardian and another in Pickled Politics. I don't know exactly why these 2 are linked unless it's the miracle of google, and the first 2 (only?) bits of 'dirt' that people can find are these, but I've seen both quoted in succession in a couple of places.

While I don't know the Strouds personally, I've come across someone who does, and can vouch for them as being the kind of people British politics needs. What I do know is that the approach to dealing with homosexuality described rather misleadingly in the Guardian article was certainly the mainstream charismatic approach to homosexual tendencies until at least 10 years ago. Many of us are still learning to 'be Jesus' to people in what is a difficult and challenging area: to love the person regardless of things that are a little more 'in your face' than many sins. The second article is just as ridiculous, approaching a scriptural model for marriage partnership as some bizarre form of social oppression, and has long been mainstream teaching in many charismatic churches.

When is enough?

In the middle of a Facebook discussion about this I felt God say "OK, that's enough - time to stop".

I am praying for this couple, that they won't be pulled down by the lies and insinuations spread about them, nor by the way that what is good and righteous and healthy is described as sick and wicked. Now, who do we know that likes to take what is good and lovely and make it look sick and diseased?

p.s. Wonder if that will get some flaming in the comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.