Wednesday 5 May 2010

If you find God too easily - a series of questions.

There's a thought provoking post on Hamo's blog which quotes from Thomas Merton. I'm not sure I entirely agree with the poetry, but the sentiments and struggle in the main post are something I do understand.

I'm juggling with this in a wider context too. It seems worship should be joyful, yet what do you do when you're miserable/melancholic and that's reflected in the way you do things? Do you make yourself sound joyful, and if you do, is that hype and hypocrisy? Is stirring your spirit within you, telling your heart to arise pretense or real? Should we embrace miserable worship?

So when we try to meet God, are we meeting Him because we need Him to do stuff or is it because He's said "come, spend time with me"? Or do we do it because we know we need to spend time with Him, and a bit like visiting a slightly awkward aged parent, we make sure that we schedule in meetings out of duty, even though it's a bit difficult?

Why do we do what we do?

Should it be hard to find God?

Do we fit work and leisure round God, God round work and leisure or do they just co-exist in a kind of temporal soup?

Is any of this even important?

Will it make any difference to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.