Monday 11 January 2010

Note to self re: Conti Eco tyres

DO NOT USE.

At least, don't use in winter.

I can just imagine the development process for these. "How can we reduce drag to make an 'eco' tyre while still having decent grip in the wet and dry?" Smart Aleck technician "let's make a slick tyre with deep water clearance bands running round the circumference. Smooth rubber=low drag and the deep channel will clear water. Of course, they'll have no grip at all on snow or mud, but we'll sell them in England, where it doesn't snow and all the rain washes the mud away".

And yup, they are a slick tyre, loads of wet and dry grip, good economy and absolutely no grip on snow. This morning I saw a small car drive up and stop beside the Pug, unload and reload children, then drive off with barely any wheelspin at all. The chap behind me in an Alpha with big sports Pirelli's had a lot of spin, mostly because he was injudicious with the throttle, but still made it. Ben made it (got stuck on Camp road, but at least he got out of the village. I couldn't even get out of the parking space.

Nuts.

In the summer I'm buying a set of snow chains for each car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.