Friday 29 May 2009

I alone am God, and you'll surrender to my will.

Or:

It's all about me, Jesus, for my glory and my fame. It's not about you, as if I should do things your way. I alone am God and you'll surrender to my ways.


I've been struggling over the rising tide of 'ME' songs recently, and wondering a number of things - maybe we can discuss them?

First off - WHY? Why do people write ME songs? I don't think they are necessarily *wrong* as in actually sinful, but when there is the limitless majesty of heaven to write about, why do we persist in telling God what He's done for me and what he's going to do for me? Some of the songs I've sung recently have made me think of a quote I read "well I've said enough about myself. Tell me, what do you think of me?"

Do they write these songs because, from a post modern perspective everything is relative and therefore it is all related to ME and my perceptions? Is it because they've been through something traumatic and are just so amazed at what God has just brought them through (what, so many people writing so many songs, all the time???!). Is it that they've just found a format (like Godfrey Birtill and his songs of lists) and can't break out of it? Is it (as the cynic in me suspects) that worship is such big business that these songs sell because everyone can relate to a ME song?

And why are they almost all such mediocre, tuneless wonders? As Mikey Mo pointed out in a post on his blog, Amazing Grace is a ME song. But it uncovers the riches of heaven, the joy of release, the wonders of His grace (to borrow a line). Having a catchy tune doesn't do it any harm either. Some ME songs are genuinely useful, and they certainly help some people relate to God and enter worship in a way that God-focused worship songs don't. But these should be sprinkled carefully through our songlists, rather than making up the majority, surely?

I have no desire whatsoever to go back solely to hymns (God forbid we should use the dreadful pop music of the last 300 years: our own is bad enough). But I do want decent theology and the right focus in worship, stirred in with a little musicality.

So tell me, do you like ME songs, and if so, why. Why do you think they're OK - or do you agree we me, that any song with I or ME in it should be scrutinised ruthlessly to ensure it actually adds something to worship before being permitted on the list?

Edit

Hey Mike - I know you like a lot of 'me' songs, because so many of your SOTWs have this focus. I'd love a comment as to why they worked for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.