Friday 2 May 2008

Evolution of desktops

Just found this page.

The thing I find most interesting is just how ropey some of those Mac screengrabs look compared to some versions of windows. System 4 or 5 (I forget now, 1990 is a long time ago) was what introduced me to useful computing (PCs mostly seemed to run DOS which, frankly, stunk. And SMART really wasn't). I had a love affair with Macs right up until Windows 95 had been out and refined for a couple of years, at which point I realised Apple had failed to keep up with user interface development. Fortunately no-one told them.

The writer must be a Linux fanboy - those KDE screengrabs look far in advance of either Windows or Macintosh. Reality as I remember it was somewhat less refined from my experience with mandrake 9.0.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.