Thursday 3 April 2008

Can you get 'prayer fatigue'?

One of the things I've been finding in this weeks episode of the Toni show is that praying isn't easy.

I called a friend tonight, Mark, and we talked about stuff we're working through. I've never been one of the amazingly spiritual people who will always remember that the answer is to pray - I'm much more likely to try to work my way through stuff in some practical fashion. and I've a suspicion this is the right thing to often do.

But there are times prayer doesn't come easily and I hate to hear myself speaking cliches and regurgitated phrases.

Now a part of it is definitely that we're busy at work, and because there are so many balls in the air I'm finding clear headspace difficult. Sure there are times when I'm empty-headed, but that's not the same as being in a place of quiet and waiting. And for me, prayer was never right as a list of needs and wants (even for other peoples benefit) or recitation of a list of trite 'worship' phrases.

So I can see there's a place I need to enter, but haven't quite accessed it yet. Tomorrow, my mind being what it is, this mysterious place will have slipped away and life will carry on as normal. Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.