Saturday 5 April 2008

Back to my roots this afternoon.

I've been sawing wood and splitting logs.

Somewhere in the dim and distant past are woodsmen, and although it's *probably* purely in the mind, it *feels* like there's something right about cutting wood.

I started off using a bow saw, then quickly realised it was too much like hard work and dug out the chain saw. I've not had the old girl running for years, literally, but after unwrapping and closing up the spark plug and cleaning then air filter it started easily and ticked over happily.

There's a feeling of immense satisfaction at the way a chainsaw carves it's way through a tree. It feels like the sort of sensation everyone should enjoy at least once in their life. Assuming they're an intelligent, careful and capable individual, of course - Texas chainsaw massacre types need not apply.

Unfortunately my poor old saw needs a new chain, as the old one has been resharpened so much that there's not much tooth left and it now cuts off to one side.

So now I'm thoroughly bushed. Had a cold come on, and my nose has been literally dripping this morning. I've now got a thick head that feels like it'll go to a headache tomorrow, and my body already aches from the effort of chopping and guiding the saw so that bodes well for having church round here tomorrow. Still, I'm sure they'll survive me, even if I am dozy and vaguer than usual. Probably slightly hung over too, as it's a celebration tonight for a good friend, and there's going to be lots of cows bottom and some nice red wine to wash it down.

See you in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.