Monday 11 February 2008

Lenten fast?

I'm not sure how this will come out - I'm thinking as I type, but moreso than usual, and using it to formulate some thoughts.

I've read this evening the post about Lent on Paul's blog and another post some time back on Marc's. Some of the guys we love and care for in our housegroup are fasting off certain things for lent, and I've been VERY careful not to be in the least discouraging (AFAIK none of them read TBOTAM regularly).

In my comment on Paul's blog I explained that all seasons are alike to me. But he also raised the question:

Afterall he didn't pull any punches when he said:

"Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it."

What does intentionally practicing losing our lives look like?


This is in no way blowing my own trumpet, but I've just spent a substantial portion of this evening preparing for housegroup tomorrow night. I expect to spend time praying for the guys in our care, maybe fasting for them too. This has become more pointed for me because I know God has been speaking about getting the net habit under control, and with His grace, it's happening. I'm shutting down the computer and going to bed with Chris instead of staying up. I'm watching the sites I view more carefully (and literally ran away from one a few nights ago) and we're not even talking p0rn here. This affects the money we spend, the clothes we wear, cars we drive and the food we eat.

What's my point.

A bit like the adverts about dogs, self sacrifice isn't for lent, but for life. It's a way of life we're called to, as Paul M pointed out. I don't know if the idea of giving stuff up for lent is helpful or harmful. Does it make us feel like we've pushed the boat out for a month, topped up our 'holy points' and given us credit in heavens bank?

Or does it provide a basis to extend ourselves? Is it a potential place to initiate something that produces fruit in our lives instead of a transient longing, denied, then all the sweeter in renewed indulgence?

I'm not poking at anyone, nor especially asking questions that need answers. But if you've given up or begun something for lent, maybe you should ask yourself why, and will it bear lasting fruit or just be a passing phase? Will you now feel guilt-bound to repeat the Jesus creed for the rest of your natural or will it have been a good idea for just a few weeks before normality reasserted itself. Or is there a different path you're walking entirely?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.