Thursday 6 September 2007

Criticism and review.

Having written those 'mini-reviews' of films, I have realised that most apparent reviews are really just criticism - not even critique - of the flaws and weaknesses of the subject. This became more noticeable when I started considering a CD I'd bought a few weeks ago by Mary Maclean.

Mary Mac (as she's known round here) is a Canadian worship leader and song writer who (IMO) is producing some of the best worship songs at the moment. They've got tunes, content, emotion and decent theology - thus they are fairly unusual.

My natural instinct was to criticise the aspects of the CD that I didn't like. That would have made for a possibly entertaining, though by no means uplifting review. So instead of that I'm going to pause, hold for a bit, look for a way of saying the positive things that is more useful than "this is great" and to try to find a manner that's constructive instead of destructive.

Who knows - maybe I'll eventually be able to apply this elsewhere too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.