Sunday 26 June 2005

The more things change....

.......the more they remain the same.


Last night I collected Ben from a party. On arrival I found the way in full of large, swearing, drunken individuals, all trying to look threatening. Turned out someone had been rude to someone’s girlfriend, so that someone had responded with a shove. So the first someone went to get his mates to ‘bury’ the second someone.

As a kid in the 60s I enjoyed reading about Andy Capp: a little cameo of life ‘oop nawth’, although much of it could have been applied anywhere in the UK.

The relevance? Many hark back to the ‘good old days’ when people were respectful and polite. Andy Capp was a guy we were supposed to like, except that he’d happily knock his wife about, get drunk, go fighting and enjoyed being an un-employed layabout in the classic style.

History teaches us......


Rant over

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.