Tuesday 19 August 2003

Thoughts on teenage angst.

Chris and I were talking this morning about something close to our hearts - teenage girls getting depressed. There seems to be a general attitude of expectancy about teenagers getting depressed. They just do: it's all part of the moody hormonal thing.

Well I'm not so sure any more. Over the last couple of years we have come across teenage girls that have suffered serious depression along with self-harming, loss of apetite, attempted suicides, gross behavioural change, failure to sleep and all the other unpleasant things that go with it. The common feature seems to have been juvenile first sexual experience.

Now, we don't have extensive experience of this, but it's been common enough for us to start wondering about a correlation. Obviously we don't know all the details of those girls that aren't suffering depression, but, as parents, it's certainly made us wonder. I'm not certain that males are free of this either, but the teenage male psyche handles these things differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.